WODs & News
Get our latest posts delivered to your inbox!
What is the CrossFit Open?
For the short, one minute version, watch this video: Click HERE
For my more personal, heartfelt description, please read below:
Every year around this time of year, CrossFit gyms all over the world begin a little chatter about the CrossFit Open.
Experienced CrossFitters’ internal dialogue this time of year: “The Open is coming. The Open is coming.” (said with a large smile of excitement)
Some who might not know what “the Open” is yet: “What the heck is this ‘Open’ that people are talking about?”
In my opinion, when coached properly, the CrossFit style of working out is THE best way to get fit, stay in shape, and prepare yourself for life’s planned and unexpected adventures. Being strong and healthy is what the CrossFit lifestyle is all about. We use this same passion for our personal fitness to help care for our families and to guide ourselves towards a happy and fulfilling life, whatever that may be to you.
Luckily for all of us, the Resilience CrossFit community is full of people who have similar passions and positive outlooks on life. That is what I think is such a unique quality about CrossFitters in general, is that unspoken understanding of everyone’s level of commitment to not just their fitness, but to their lives and the lives of those around them. When you step into a CrossFit box (or gym), there is an aura of dedication and desire to be a better human.
And that is really what the Open is all about: is celebrating our passion for fitness and life together with the larger community of CrossFitters around the world. It’s about connecting to that energy and unlocking your potential, reaching farther than you thought possible.
CrossFit is not just the best way to get in shape for anyone at any level, but it is also a sport. It is measurable and observable fitness. We can actually see progress. That is why we are seeing so many PR’s (personal records) flying up on the whiteboard these days: you’ve compared your current performances against prior performances and measured your improvement.
The Open is a one-time per year event where the entire CrossFit community performs the same workouts published by CrossFit HQ: one per week for five weeks. There are many variations of the workouts so that anyone at any level can perform them. So whether you enjoy the pick-up-basketball version of CrossFit like we do throughout the year, just focusing on getting fitter every day, or you want to perform each workout as prescribed at the highest level by CrossFit HQ for the professionals to compare themselves, there is a level for you.
Ultimately however, the goal is to have fun working out together, as well as connecting with the larger, world-wide, CrossFit community. The gym is full of sweaty-faced and earned smiles in February and March. Respect and appreciate each other’s personal choices, performances, and efforts, as we do everyday, with a high-five of elation!
Quick Details (we'll see if any of these change this year, but generally...):
- First and foremost, active (paid for) participation in the Open is 100% optional. But we will still be performing the workouts in class so everyone can at least participate on an internal level.
- The Open Workouts are released on Thursday nights at 8pm EST, and you have until the following Monday by 8pm to submit your score online if you are registered through CF HQ.
- We will plan to program these workouts for Friday's classes each week. We have literally zero idea what CF HQ will release for a workout each week, so please bear with us if we end up repeating some movements each week.
- There are standards for each movement which must be upheld if you plan to participate in the online Open. You can still choose which version of the workout you want to perform, but sometimes the Open allows you an opportunity to attempt and perform movements that you might not normally choose to do. Therefore, as long as you feel comfortable and safe trying some of these movements, this can be a very inspirational time of the year for many of us because you do things that you did not know you could do.
- We will have an informal Friday Night Lights type of event each week during the Friday night class at 5:30pm. All are welcome to either cheer or perform the workout at night each week. This is a very fun time because this is an opportunity to be a part of our larger Resilience community and cheer some others on who might not be in your normal class time. It gets the buzz and spirit of the Open fired up each week!
- We will have a more formal Friday Night Lights event for one of the five weeks. TBD at this point. Just not the first week, that's for sure. We'll release more details as we get closer. But this event is one that you don't want to miss. This is an opportunity to cheer everyone on, including your coaches, and get amped up about working hard. Again, more details to follow.
I can’t wait to see what this year has in store for all of us!
For more information about the Open, go to: games.crossfit.com
And/or ask your coaches!
*Experienced RCF'ers, please feel free to comment with any personal anecdotes of encouragement if you'd like!
See you all soon!