WODs & News
Get our latest posts delivered to your inbox!
Been in a rut lately body comp wise? Here are 10 quick tips to jump start your progress to looking and feeling like a resident of Mt. Olympus!
1) Focus your diet on animal protein (locally sourced and pasture raised if you have denounced mediocrity!) and green veggies… No bout a doubt it, if you want to look better nekid this is step 1! Its not a real “meal” without this items!
2) Do/watch/listen to/ something everyday that makes you laugh so hard you metaphorically snort milk (metaphorically raw milk) out of your nose… Research continues to show us this is one of the best ways to fight elevated cortisol levels (an imbalance of which is a primary culprit in MANY health issues and body fat dilemmas).
3) Earn your carbs… With what we do in the gym there is certainly a need for some level of carbohydrates in almost all our diets. That need is highly variable dependent upon a host of factors (i.e current body fat, type of workout, body composition/performance goals, genetic carb tolerance, and much more) but to generalize for most of us 80% of the days carbohydrate consumption should fall around the workout (before during and after).
4) If you aren’t “regular” make a change…. Make sure the foods you eat agree with your system and also try adding a solid probiotic, extra fiber, and more cruciferous veggies. A healthy digestive system means proper absorption of nutrients, a robust immune system (if you are one of those people that is always getting sick and the sniffles check your gut… 80% of our immune system is there). As a wise man once said, “strive daily to produce a foot long floater with minimal odor” (hehe poop).
5) Fortify your diet with essential supplementation… Ask any good functional medicine practitioner and they will tell you that anyone living in our society is likely deficient in omega 3s, magnesium (a key player in blood sugar regulation, blood pressure, and sleep), zinc, and many trace minerals…. For this reason I think most people should consider these a part of their “food shopping” rather than something on the side.
6) Limit cheat meals and the like to once every 2 weeks….Again this varies based on your leanness but for most of us once a week is honestly too frequent if you are after serious change. By waiting 2 weeks before allowing an indulgent meal you learn to appreciate it more, and demonstrate a higher level of commitment to making a change.
7) Alcohol …. When it comes to this its just a plain question of what do you want more? A rock solid head turning body and health so vibrant it blinds the sun? Or do you want to indulge in liquid mediocrity and look like a human version of the chocolate monster from candy land? The choice is yours friends…
8) Embrace a good ole cuddle session with your significant other (or a dog)… Legitimate research shows this DIRECTLY and immediately increases hormones and neurotransmitters that destroy stress and are beneficial for body composition improvement. Bet you never thought you’d hear a strength coach recommend that to speed up your progress!
9) Stop making excuses… We all have something going on, travel, family events, work, or whatever it may be. You have to be willing to take the time for yourself to make a positive change.], and this may mean being a bit selfish with your time. Don’t be afraid to do that. Last time I checked no food was ever eaten by accident, “officer the assailant forced me to eat cheesecake and pizza at gun point… It was horrible!” Yup pretty sure that one has never come across the desk of hopkinton PD. Be responsible, take action, and leave the excuses for someone else. Food preparation and bulk cooking can eliminate 95% of all potential dietary excuses.
10) Eat enough and eat frequently… When fat loss is the goal often times calories get slashed too low too quickly, leading a “stale” metabolic state. By eating every 2-3 hours and meeting an appropriate calorie range (a good STARTING POINT is 15 calories/ LB BW) you will set yourself up for continued fat loss and a strong metabolism that won’t decrease your performance while striving for body comp improvements!