WODs & News
Get our latest posts delivered to your inbox!
We all work so hard each week crushing WODs and sacrificing sweat to create the strongest version of ourselves possible. Sometimes we feel a bit stagnant and need that jump start to reignite progress. Here are ten things you can do TODAY to fire up the gain train!
1) Start a food log– Be accountable to yourself and understand what you put in your body will dictate what you are able to get out of it. (my favorite is ‘myfitnesspal’)
2) Make sure you focus each meal around an animal protein source– Because no one ever said… ” I’ve striving to build the body of a vegan”
3) Eat more vegetables than you currently do. As great and tasty as perfectly cooked animals are.. Our body still needs the fiber and micro nutrition found in plant food. The greener the better! (A good test is usually… the more it grosses out a little kid the better it is for you)
4) Prepare 75% of your meals ahead of time- Getting the bulk cooking out of the way (cooking a ton of meat, rice, sweet potatoes, steaming veggies etc.) will allow you to turn daily cooking into mere “meal assembly.” Meal assembly that takes 5 minutes is a sure fire way to make sure you opt for the right choice.
5) Know that if a food is in your house you will eventually eat it- Simple fact here….Very few people will pass up nutritious foods and make a specific trip for junk, make it hard for yourself to eat poorly.
6) If you have been eating the right foods for a long time( READ: NOT been gorging on weekends and/or drinking like a college freshman) and still not seeing any fat loss, it may be time to monitor calories- Go back to point 1 on the food log and track yourself for 2 weeks, see if any patterns emerge of being either too low or too high calorically. (A good starting point is 12-14 calories/ Lb BW for someone aiming to lose body fat) Aim to make adjustments of 250 cals a day and adjust based on results every 2 weeks or so.
7) Have the will power to resist social situations- We ALL get put in situations where the easy thing to do would be to eat junk and have a few drinks, realize you have chosen a different path and have refused the hedonistic weakness of the masses… Ignore the momentary pain of social isolation for the eternal glory that comes with unrelenting fitness. Be a higher class of human.
8) Make magnesium a part of your daily routine- Awesome for insulin sensitivity, muscle building and sleep quality. Dan’s pick for nutrient unsung hero. Health experts recommend 10mg/kg BW per day (i.e. 100kg man needs 1000mg) spread out during the latter half of the day.
9) Coffee + Coconut oil = Pre-workout bliss – Try an energizing mix of dark roast coffee and coconut oil pre-workout. These two wonderful things combined will help give you a pre-workout kick without over stressing your system and filling you with other lack luster ingredients like the leading pre-workout drink.
10) Find a “fat loss accountability” buddy- Spouse, friend, workout partner, it can be anyone! Someone who is going to help motivate you, keep you honest, and be that voice of support when that carton of frozen love handles or sleeve of salty sweet muffin top calls your name.