Nutrition Challenge Details
- Dates of Challenge: This is a 6 week challenge running from 2/13 to 3/24
- Nature of Challenge: teams will compete to see who can most effectively track their food, improve their diet, work together to accomplish miscellaneous tasks, improve body composition and demonstrate gains in energy levels during workouts.
- Teams: 4 players will be on each team. Teams will be selected randomly via a “hopper draft” done on FB Live on 2/9
- Cost: $25 per player
- Prizes: Best Team gets 65% of the money and the 2nd place team receives the remaining 35%
- How, Where and When to Register: Registration is now open and will run through 2/8. Click here to register!
- Pre-Challenge Weigh-In & WOD: The schedule to “Weigh In” and do your Performance WOD will be published by Friday 2/10
OBJECTIVES OF THE NUTRITION CHALLENGE
- Heighten awareness of good nutrition and its impact on your health, body composition, energy levels, and performance
- Introduce behaviors that are sustainable and can become life-long habits
- Get to know different people in the BSC community
- Have fun and get yourself in amazing shape
HOW YOU SCORE POINTS
- Food Tracking: Earn 1 point per day for tracking your food in My Fitness Pal or the BSC Food Diary (Ahealthyme.com). OBJECTIVE: AWARENESS & QUANTIFICATION.
- Water: Earn 1 point per day for consuming 50% of your body weight in ounces of water. OBJECTIVE: HYDRATION- benefits are too lengthy to list
- Alcohol: Lose 1 point any day when alcohol is consumed. OBJECTIVE: HIGHER ENERGY LEVELS DURING WORKOUTS
- Workouts: Earn 2 points for each Workout (WOD). Players can claim a max of 4 per week. “Travel WODs” and other types of fitness classes of 30 minutes or more (i.e. spinning) will count. But at least 1 workout per week needs to be at the BSC CrossFit Arena.
- 2 points per player for successfully completing the weekly TEAM pop-up challenges
- What is a Pop-Up Challenge? A Pop-Up Challenge is a challenge for the Team. It is announced with little notice. It rewards teams who are able to coordinate and work within time constraints. An Example: each player on the team needs to do 10 burpees in a BSC conference room.
- Where do the Pop-Up Challenges come from? Each team will submit at least one suggestion before the Challenge starts
- When and How are they announced? Each Tuesday we will pick the Pop-Up Challenge from those submitted from a “Hopper” on FB Live
PRE & POST CHALLENGE
- Benchmark WOD: we will test a performance WOD at the start of the Challenge and then again at the end (dates To Be Announced). We will measure the percentage improvement for each person. Individuals in the 1st quartile will earn 45 points; 2nd quartile gets 30 points; 3rd quartile earns 15 points; and 4th quartile will earn no points.
- Body Fat % Change: Each person will have their BF captured on the InBody 270 at the start of the Challenge and again at the end (dates To Be Announced). We will measure the percentage improvement for each person. Individuals in the 1st quartile will earn 45 points; 2nd quartile gets 30 points; 3rd quartile earns 15 points; and 4th quartile will earn no points.
YOU WILL RECEIVE...
Full CrossFit Membership: full access to all classes which has a value of $195 per month.
- Body Composition Evaluations: Each participant will receive a pre and post challenge body scan which has a $50 value.
- Weekly Nutrition Tips: here is information that will help improve nutritional habits.
- Directions for Food Diary: here are directions for how to most effectively utilize MyFitnessPal.
- Scorecards: A scorecard (which will be on Google sheets) for each individual and each team is being finalized and it will be shared with you by next 2/12.
- Private FB Page: participants will have access to a FB page that will enable them to communicate with each other and share information (i.e. recipes)
- Coaching Support: each team will have access to a CFR coach who will help them achieve success
- Travel WOD’s: If you are traveling, or need a travel WOD, here is your source: http://www.thetravelingwod.com/p/traveling-wods.html
- In order for your travel WOD to count, your total actual workout time must equal a minimum of 25 minutes (with a standard deviation of +/- 1 minute if you really kicked butt and didn’t quite do 25:00).
- Meaning, if you do one of the suggested WODs from this site, and it took you 8:40 to complete, you must perform another travel WOD, and maybe even another travel WOD, until you complete a minimum of 25 minutes’ worth of working out at high intensity, for your day to be done!
- Must use either MyFitnessPal or Ahealthyme.com
- Must log at least 3 primary meals each day to count
- Deadline for a valid daily logging is 12pm the following day
- A valid workout must last for 30+ minutes
- You can claim up to 4 workouts each week
- At least 1 of those workouts must be a CrossFit workout done at the BSC Arena (unless you are traveling for more than 3 days in a week)
- Official Travel WOD’s will be valid workouts
- Fitness Classes of 30 minutes or more are also valid (i.e. spinning, yoga, etc.)
THE POP UP CHALLENGES
- All members of the team must participate in the Pop Up Challenge for the results to count. The points for these challenges are ALL or NOTHING for the team
- Each team must submit at least 1 pop-up challenge suggestion by 2/13 otherwise the team will lose 2 points
YOUR SCORE SHEETS
- Weeks run from Monday through Sunday. All Score Sheets must be completed no later than 12pm on Monday.
- The only exception is the final week. In that week the score sheets must be competed by 12pm on Saturday 3/25
- If a team fails to meet the deadline then they will lose 5 points for each day that they are late.
THE CHALLENGE TIMELINE
- 1/23: Release of Challenge Details
- 1/24: Registration System Opens
- 1/31 at Noon: Information Meeting for all interested BSC employees
- 2/8: Registration closes
- 2/9: Teams selected via a FaceBook Live Draft
- 2/9-2/14: Performance WOD’s and Weigh In’s. Exact times and locations to be released shortly.
- 2/13: Challenge Begins
- 3/24: Challenge Ends
- 3/27: Winning Teams Announced
- BootCamp Classes: to make it easier for new CrossFit members to attend class we are adding 2 more BootCamp classes which does not require any Elements training. These classes will be at 7am on Mondays and Wednesdays. There will be 4 BootCamp classes each week during this event.
- Tie Breaker: If there is a tie then the team that has the greatest combined improvement in the Performance WOD and the Body Composition will win the Tie Break.
- Who to call with questions: If you have any questions please reach out to Drew Carnase (email@example.com) or Brooks Farrar (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Private Facebook Page: join the Private FB page for this Challenge by clicking here are asking to join the group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/582082678658636/). Only those who have registered will be permitted to join the group.